Spa Ritual was founded on the notion that “in our fast-paced and increasingly connected world, it’s easy to lose track of what’s important,” and that only by slowing down are we able to experience our true selves.
But in our rush to make it through our busy days, we often neglect the little things… like the fact that our nails and cuticles need care, too. An at-home manicure is theperfect way to honor the philosophy of “slow beauty”—slowing down, returning to simple wellness, and quieting your mind from the noise.
The next time you can set aside 20-30 minutes for yourself (and we hope it’s soon!), treat yourself to a luxurious, at-home manicure in just 10 steps. All you need is the beautiful summery shade of Spa Ritual polish that came in your summer Yuzen box and a few other supplies:
1. Remove existing nail polish, if you have any. Use a healthier polish remover, like one labeled acetone-free. Wash hands when finished.
2. Clip nails to the desired length, then file (in one direction) to achieve square or rounded tips. If you have a buffer, buff tops and sides of nails lightly.
3. Use a Spa Ritual Cuti-Cocktail Pen (if you have one) to soften and condition your cuticles, then use the tip to gently push them back. (You can also use a gentle cuticle oil.) Never cut cuticles; they’re there to protect your nails from bacteria.
4. Exfoliate your hands with a hand scrub. This eliminates dead skin cells that feel rough and dry, and it helps moisturize. Use a nail brush to reach under your nails. Wash and dry hands when finished.
5. Moisturize hands with your favorite hand lotion, and use this time to give yourself a mini hand massage. When finished, rub each nail lightly with nail polish remover again to remove traces of lotion that would interfere with the polish.
6. Apply a clear base coat. This adds much-needed moisture to nails and prevents the polish from chipping. Wait at least two minutes before proceeding to the next step.
7. Carefully apply a coat of polish, making sure to get all the edges. Wait at least two minutes before proceeding to the next step.
8. Apply a second coat of polish. (And a third, if the selected polish color requires it.) Wait at least two minutes before proceeding to the next step.
9. Apply a clear top coat. This further protects your nails and your polish and adds shine.
10. Correct any polish mistakes with polish remover. Use a nail polish remover pen if you have one, or fold a nail polish remover pad into a triangle to achieve a precise point. Let nails dry at least 5-10 more minutes while you sit back, relax, and enjoy your new “slow beauty” ritual.
To browse Spa Ritual’s full line of healthy-nail products, visit www.sparitual.com.