There’s no shortage of skincare products out there that claim to help erase “dark spots,” but do they ever explain what exactly they mean by dark spots? Not really! And they certainly don’t explain how to avoid getting those dark spots in the first place. We were curious, so we did a little research on the subject, and here’s what we found out:
- Dark spots are also called age spots, liver spots, sun spots, or brown spots. The color can range from very light brown to black.
- Darks spots are most common on the face and the backs of the hands but can also appear on your shoulders, upper back, and forearms.
- The most common cause of dark spots is sun damage. (Always use sunscreen with UVA protection). People with fair skin are most likely to develop spots after frequent sun exposure. Frequent use of tanning beds is also a factor.
- Sometimes, the hormones in birth control pills also cause dark spots to form. If you suspect your pills are the culprit, see your doctor. Fluctuating hormones, like during pregnancy or menopause, might also be the cause.
- Dark spots should not cause any pain. If they do, see your doctor. Also see your doctor if the spots are irregular in shape, change color, or have a raised texture.
- Dark spots are sometimes blamed on aging, perhaps because older skin has been exposed to the sun longer.
- Although the natural tendency when dealing with any spot is to try and scrub it off, DON’T! Exfoliation of dark spots might cause inflammation, which can actually cause them to darken further. Plus, exfoliation only deals with the top layer of skin, while dark spots are formed much farther underneath.
- Some facial products, like the Z Skin Age-Defying Hydroxy Face Mask in your winter Yuzen box, are specially formulated to help lighten dark marks on skin. This popular product also harnesses the power of alpha and beta hydroxy acids to help reveal a smoother, brighter complexion and work to erase fine lines and wrinkles. Visit www.zskincosmetics.com to learn more about the company’s recent reformulation of its best seller, plus other age-defying products like Face Lift Toner, Nighttime Eye Cream, and Extreme Moisturizer.