By “balanced,” we don’t mean on the yoga mat, although that’s important, too. We’re talking about how to stay calm and grounded so that everyday stresses (which are inevitable, unfortunately) don’t throw you off and make you lose your focus. When you’re not balanced, the stress can affect your peaceful mind and your healthy body, causing further disruptions in your life and making you even more stressed. But when you’re balanced, you can easily find the peace and serenity to deal with just about anything life throws your way.
Here are 5 ways to stay balanced in your life:
1. Connect with friends and family. Whether you’re spending time talking about life’s challenges or just having a good time doing something fun, being with people you love—who love you back—helps you stay on track. For long-distance loved ones, schedule a regular time to talk on the phone or Skype, or surprise someone with a good old-fashioned handwritten letter.
2. Eat better. Foods loaded with fat, sugar, and salt bring the body down, which affects the mind, too. Indulge once in a while, but make sure the majority of your diet is filled with healthy foods like vitamin-rich fruits and vegetables.
3. Exercise. It’s tempting to use the “I don’t have time” excuse, but even 10 minutes of high-energy exercise per day has a beneficial effect on body and mind. Take a brisk walk around the block, go for a quick bike ride, or do a few sets of crunches and jumping jacks. Just get your heart pumping!
4. Make sleep a priority. Turn your bedroom into an electronics-free zone—no TV, computer, tablet, or phone after 8 p.m. Go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time each morning. Don’t drink caffeine or alcohol for several hours before bedtime, and do what it takes to make the room dark and quiet.
5. Pamper yourself. If you’re a Yuzen subscriber, you already know the benefits of pampering yourself with all-natural, good-for-you products. Create your own spa day with as many Yuzen products as you can. Sit back, relax, and let the feelings of calmness, peace, and serenity wash over you—now that’s balance!